Complete lockup when using g++ on reiserfs

From: Fabio Fracassi (turiya@linuxfromscratch.org)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 06:41:02 EST

Hi

Please CC answers to me since I'm not subscribed here.

Since a while now I sometimes get strange lockups when trying to compile
c++ programms.
I cannot reproduce it exactly, but on larger c++ apps like Kde or Mozilla,
the build hangs sooner or later.
I get this behavior with all kernels from 2.4.3 to 2.4.16 (haven't checked
the newer ones yet)

The problem is that I cannot truely locate, where the error occurs, the logs
are quite, and the system is truely dead (only HW reset works)

I first suspected my graphics HW (NVIDIA) to be causing the problems, but
the problems remain under Plain console, with no Drivers loaded.

The recent AMD/AGP Bug is also not causing it, I've checked that.

I suppose the Problem is somewhere in the ReiserFs part, since when this hang
happens the last processed c++ file sometimes gets corrupted.

If you need more Info on this please contact me, I'll try to give it then

I Hope someone can help me.

TIA
Fabio Fracassi