Re: AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat?

From: Stephan von Krawczynski (skraw@ithnet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 15:53:05 EST

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:06:35 -0800 (PST)
"M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@aracnet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Well I've no idea on the rumours (and if I did I wouldnt tell you!)
> > but Im insulted that anyone believes I would continue working for RH
> > if aol/time warner owned them.
>
> Sadly, I've heard statements like this before; I've even made them :-).
> If it were a choice between AOL/Time Warner/Red Hat and not working on
> Linux, would you still make that choice? If it were a choice between
> working for AOL/Time Warner/Red Hat or working for Red Hat and competing
> with AOL/Time Warner/Mandrake, would you still make that choice? The
> world of business, where money talks, presents us with interesting
> choices from time to time :).

Hm, I find it particularly interesting that you seem to classify AOL/Time
Warner as "bad boys". I can't really agree on this, based on a simple
thought: this deal (if it really happens) is purely strategic from their
side, they will not earn a single buck with it. Instead chances are high
RH is going to be a high flyer afterwards, we all know where they want to
go tomorrow :-)
I can see big chances arising, why not take them?
Just go ahead, Steve!
(I can say that frankly here, he's not going to read it anyway ;-)

Regards,
Stephan