reading a file in emacs crashes 2.4.17 and 18-pre4

From: John Covici (covici@ccs.covici.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 21:28:47 EST

Its a small file and was actually an accident, but you get all sorts
of unable to handle kernel paging ... and eventually a kernel panic
because it was trying to kill the idle process.

I am using emacs version "21.2.50.1" and I have 1.4ghz Athlon and 256
m of memory.

--
         John Covici
         covici@ccs.covici.com