Re: [patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset

From: Dieter Nützel (Dieter.Nuetzel@hamburg.de)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 17:42:26 EST

On Tuesday, 22. January 2002 23:21, Daniel Nofftz wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Dieter [iso-8859-15] Nützel wrote:
> > Maybe it's time for AMD/VIA/SiS/Nvidia, etc. to come up with there code
> > for _ALL_ Athlon/Duron chipsets???
> > As we are in trouble with AMD 4MB pages, yet.
> >
> > Have a look at www.vcool.de
>
> yes ... maybee ... the problem is , that the disconnect-function is
> enabled by the chipset ... and it is a different register in every
> different chipset. so it is a little bit difficult to make a solution for
> all chipsets.

I know that and my intention was that we _NEED_ documentation to support it
on _ALL_ chipsets out there.

AMD should notice how many people using there CPUs and I think they do know
it.

So let's make a call.

> by the way ... i know www.vcool.de ... my work is partialy based on this.
> but the vcool linux patch/version does not support kt266/kt266a chipset.
> (only the kt/kx133 chipset)

I know.

> after some mail exchange with the developer of vcool,

I did that, too.
Andreas Jaeger (SuSE) told me that maybe he could help.
He got the USB patch information for the AMD Irongate after a few days out of
them...

> i decided to wrote a kernelpatch, which supports the kt266/kt266a chipset
> too.

Good work.

> (one of my reasosns for this was, that the developer of vcool will not
> develop the linux version further) .

Sadly to hear.

> the second thing is, that this patch is a little bit simpler then the
> (l)vcool approach ... i think ... :)

I can't compare 'cause I have the AMD Irongate C4...;-)

> ah ... if someone sends me the the needed informations, which registers
> (or register-bits) are to be changed on ther chipsets to activate the
> disconnect-function, i will add this chipsets to the patch.

I hope we get some info, now.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Nützel
Graduate Student, Computer Science

University of Hamburg Department of Computer Science @home: Dieter.Nuetzel@hamburg.de - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/