Re: [Avfs] Re: [ANNOUNCE] FUSE: Filesystem in Userspace 0.95

From: Justin Mason (jm@jmason.org)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 21:33:13 EST

Daniel Phillips said:

> I've been meaning to have a read through this for some time, and I'm finally
> getting around to it. Random question: you seem to have embedded much of Joe
> Orton's Neon project (http://freshmeat.net/projects/neon/) in your tgz. Is
> there any particular reason for that? Isn't this going to turn into a
> maintainance problem eventually?

It provides an API for remote DAV fs access, which AVFS/FUSE uses for the
dav module. I wrote the initial DAV support, hence the reply ;)

There are some problems with it, namely that FUSE would work better with a
block-oriented GET/PUT api instead of a file-oriented one which Neon
provides. So it should probably be replaced with calls to a HTTP client
implementation anyway, instead, at some point.

Not sure how it could be a maintainance problem, though; as long as Neon
is linked into the FUSE userspace daemon statically, it shouldn't collide
with other stuff.

--j.