Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: depmod problem for 2.5.2-dj4

From: David Brownell (david-b@pacbell.net)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 19:46:13 EST

> > > Vojtech, is this a USB function that you want added to usb.c?
> >
> > Yes, please. This will change later when Pat Mochels devicefs kicks in,

What's the story on "driverfs" happening, by the way? Last I knew, the
PCI bits weren't yet ready.

> > but for the time being, it'd be very useful.
>
> +int usb_make_path(struct usb_device *dev, char *buf, size_t size)

I don't think that patch is necessary. It's simpler to just

    strncpy (buf, dev->devpath, min_t(size_t, size, sizeof dev->devpath));

Use like you'd use pci_dev->slot_name ... no mallocation necessary.
It's just the path from root hub down to device, /2/1/7 and so on: the
physical path, which stays the same so long as you don't recable your
tree of USB devices and hubs.

I'd expect the typical "driverfs" path for a USB device to be the
path for the root hub (normally a PCI slot like 00:0f.3) followed by
what "devpath" now shows.

- Dave