Re: Can linux support ccNUMA machine now?

From: Denis Vlasenko (vda@port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 11:15:30 EST

> With some simple calculations for various things, I predict ZONE_NORMAL
> will get filled by large boot-time allocations on x86 with PAE and 64GB
> of RAM. I'm not entirely sure what other sorts of pathologies arise
> while these beasts still function; but without enough ZONE_NORMAL to
> satisfy all the combined boot-time allocation requests, the kernel
> will surely panic.
> P.S.: Blame it on struct page.

Looks like running x86 with more than 16GB RAM is not a good idea.
If you need it, you need 64bit arch.

This limit can be raised substantially by reducing low 4GB memory
requirements, but don't you feel it's like running 16-bit DOS
on 686 class CPU? HIMEM.SYS, EMM, horde of DOS extenders - sounds familiar?

However, CPU vendors war over common 64-bit arch is still ahead...

--
vda