Re: ACPI trouble (Was: Re: [patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset)

From: Wayne Whitney (whitney@math.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 12:49:37 EST

In mailing-lists.linux-kernel, Rasmus Bøg Hansen wrote:

> When running /sbin/poweroff from runlevel 3 or 5, 'halt -i -d -p' is
> again the last command run, follwing this from the kernel:
> Power down.
> hwsleep-0178 [02] Acpi_enable_sleep_state: Entering S5
> And again my system hangs.

I have an ASUS A7V motherboard, similar to your ASUS A7V133. I find
that stock kernel (2.4.18-pre7) APM powers off the machine, but stock
kernel ACPI does not. However, the Intel ACPI patch, available from
http://developer.intel.com/technology/IAPC/acpi/downloads.htm against
kernel 2.4.16, does power down my machine. I was able to forward port
this to 2.4.18-pre7 without too much trouble by starting with 2.4.16,
applying the Intel ACPI patch first, and then applying kernel
patch-2.4.17 and kernel patch-2.4.18-pre7.

As to the merits of the amd_disconnect patch that started this thread,
under 2.4.18-pre7-acpi, I get an idle CPU temperature of about 48 C.
With the amd_disconnect patch, it drops to 32-35 C, wow! As
previously discussed, APM + amd_disconnect on an Athlon does not
provide any power savings, one needs ACPI + amd_disconnect.

Note that on this motherboard (and perhaps all ASUS Via chipset
motherboards, including the A7V133), one needs the following line in
/etc/sensors.conf to get reasonable lm_sensors CPU temperatures:
  compute temp2 @*2, @/2
This is as described at http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/support.html
in Ticket 775.

Best wishes,