Re: amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset

From: Daniel Nofftz (nofftz@castor.uni-trier.de)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 16:00:33 EST

On 24 Jan 2002, Ed Sweetman wrote:

> You should check your /var/log/messages directly for this nifty little
> message.
> kernel: ACPI: APM is already active, exiting
>
> If you compiled in apm at the time you did that test, acpi wasn't even
> active and thus the special athlon disconnect patch wasn't even
> working. So all of that better cooling would be psychoschomatic.
> Wouldn't be the first time better cooling/performance was all in the
> head of the person using the hardware...although if you didn't have apm
> compiled in then none of this matters and it was all working. But i
> doubt that is true due to the 42C idle after some use no matter which
> kernel was being used.

for the test i build a new kernel without any acpi function but with apm
ompiled in ... if you mean this ... the results where those i posted ...

> Furthermore, I haven't heard of anyone where the patch actually makes an
> improvement in temp with the patch. But i have heard of people saying
> it affected performance detrimentally. If it is helping and the cpu fans
> decrease due to the lower temp, add fan speeds in different loads/temps
> to reflect this.
> lowering the fan speed and thus noise is more than a welcome change.

my cpu is cooled down and my cpu fan + 2 temperature controlled case fans
are slowed down -> lesser noise ...

daniel

# Daniel Nofftz
# Sysadmin CIP-Pool Informatik
# University of Trier(Germany), Room V 103
# Mail: daniel@nofftz.de