Re: 2.4.18pre4aa1

From: rwhron@earthlink.net
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 09:57:37 EST

> it may be useful if Randy can throw a real world test
> into the benchmarking, to get a better comparison of
> the various systems. The obvious one that springs to mind
> would be something like compilation of a large source tree

Thanks for the feedback.

2.5.2-dj5 wins the lucky "first-timer" award on the new tests.

Extract/configure/make/check autoconf-2.52:
Executes over 100000 processes and creates a lot of small
temporary files. Won't hit the disk much on this box.

Extract/Configure/make/test perl-5.6.1:
For perl, "make test" is executed 5 times. "make test" is about
75% system and 25% user, which may provide more variation between
kernel versions.

> Or maybe timing an updatedb. Its realworld enough in that its
> a daily task, generates lots of IO..

I'll time updatedb too. updatedb may vary over time, depending
on how many src trees are extracted. I'll make an effort to
keep that variable consistent.

--
Randy Hron