Re: Machine Check Exception ?

From: Dave Jones (davej@suse.de)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 12:22:40 EST

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 05:36:23PM +0100, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> It boots and runs for quite a while (weeks), then suddenly freezes and
> shows this message.
> It does not happen often, but very rarely.
> Has the number any meaning, or is it a goof?

> > > diehard kernel: CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004

 This number alone doesn't really tell anything.
 There should be an extra line in the log / on the console,
 which contains two more 64bit numbers. Putting these into
 http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/cruft/parsemce.c will decode
 them and give you more idea hopefully over whats wrong.
 (I really should make that tool a little friendlier ..
  I'll do it soon)