Re: [patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset

From: Matthew Sackman (matthew@sackman.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 07:23:39 EST

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 09:23:32AM -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:

> > I thought, ntpd would take care of the RTC:
>
> It doesn't. init scripts on boot sync the date to the rtc, if your date
> isn't near what it should be then ntp wont work. It has to at least be
> close then run date --systohc or something like that.

Which is why it's a good idea to have ntpdate run on startup to get the
clock sync'd to one ntp server and then that will guarentee that ntpd will
start up happily and be happy etc.

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman Nottingham England

BOFH Excuse Board: excessive collisions & not enough packet ambulances - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/