Re: RFC: booleans and the kernel

From: Rick Stevens (rstevens@vitalstream.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 18:07:37 EST

Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 04:44:38PM -0600, Timothy Covell wrote:

>>>When would you ever use the above code? Your reasoning is "you may
>>>accidentally check a char for a boolean value." In other words, not
>>>realize it was a char. What is to say its a boolean? Or not? This
>>>isn't an argument. How does having a boolean type solve this? Just use
>>>an int.
>>>
>>> Robert Love
>>>
>>It would fix this because then the compiler would refuse to compile
>>"if (x)" when x is not a bool. That's what I would call type safety.
>>But I guess that you all are arguing that C wasn't built that way and
>>that you don't want it.
>>

> It would actually break this. if is supposed (and expected) to evaluate
> an expression, whatever it will be. Maybe a gentle warning could be in
> place, but refusing to compile is a plain broken C compiler.

Granted. "if (x)" is true if "x" is non-zero, regardless of type and
shoudn't even generate a warning if "x" is scalar.

Either printf() will occur depending on whether automatics are
initialized to zero or not. The first one will most likely print
since there's 255 to 1 odds that "x" will be non-zero if not
initialized and I don't think gcc initializes automatics.