Re: UVFS Yet another user space filesystem kit.

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 17:12:05 EST

Hi!

> I would like to announce the availability of version 0.1 of UVFS, yet
> another user space filesystem kit. UVFS provide an interface to almost all
> kernel VFS methods in user space with acceptable overhead. It comes with a
> sample in memory filesystem as documentation.
>
> As far as I can determine UVFS is quite robust but I would love to have some
> independent confirmation of that. I would also be delighted if someone more
> familiar with the linux VFS than I, were to give the code a once-over.
>
> The current version of UVFS only supports a single instance of a given
> filesystem type. That will be addressed in the next public release.
>
> UVFS can be found at http://www.sciencething.org/geekthings/index.html .

How do you solve deadlocks on writing?

[Imagine so many dirty buffers are in memory that your
filesystem-in-userspace-daemon was swapped out?]

[Miklos, Cc-ed to you. You have that problem too. And it probably has
same solution like those untrusted filesystems -- back it up by a file.]
                                                                        Pavel

--
(about SSSCA) "I don't say this lightly.  However, I really think that the U.S.
no longer is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy." --hpa