Re: F00F-bug workaround working?

From: Stevie O (stevie@qrpff.net)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 19:55:05 EST

At 11:11 PM 1/13/2002 +0000, James Stevenson wrote:

>the foof bug would cause the system to hang. not to panic.

If I'm not mistaken (and I probably am), the F00F bug causes the proc to
screw up the handling of an invalid instruction. I.E. no legitimate
program would possibly cause this, only hand-written bytecode (or,
theoretically, a stack overflow overwriting a return address to point to
data) can cause this.

So unless someone's trying to mess with you, I doubt F00F is affecting you.

http://x86.ddj.com/errata/dec97/f00fbug.htm

--
Stevie-O

Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE