SPARCstation 5 (sun4m) and 2.4.17

From: Chris Mason (chris@bash.sh)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 16:48:07 EST

Hi,

I know I have seen this discussed before on various mailing lists, but
it was generally regarding the 2.4.0-test kernels. I am attempting to
use 2.4.17 on a SPARCstation 5 (sun4m) with 192MB of RAM.

On attempting to boot the kernel I get the following message;

SILO boot:
PROMLIB: obio_ranges 1
bootmem_init: Scan sp_banks,
init_bootmem(spfn[41ad],bpfn[4a1d],mlpfn[c000])

It then pauses for a period of about 3 mins then I get the following (as
expected),

Watchdog Reset, Rebooting.
Resetting ...

I have attempted to pass it mem=16M as some earlier posts suggested to
do on 2.4.0-test kernels with no luck. On enable PROM_DEBUG_CONSOLE in
/usr/src/linux/arch/sparc/kernel/setup.c I see that the kernel does
oops, however as the screen moves up very quickly I cannot read what it
is saying.

Thanks in advance,
Chris