tulip hangs on 2.4.17

From: Chris (volthead@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 04:56:21 EST

I have recently run into a problem with the tulip driver on my laptop.

It loads fine at first, and I can get connected to a network, etc. When
I reboot the machine, it hangs when it tries to load the tulip module.
This only happens with a warm reboot, not a cold boot. It is quite
repeatable. If I power off completely, there is no problem. If I
comment the tulip driver out of my startup scripts, there is no problem.
  If I reboot, it hangs.

This does not happen with the 2.4.5 kernel, only the 2.4.17. These are
the only 2 I have tried.

I have found that if I bring down my ethernet interface and unload the
tulip module before the warm reboot, the system will not lock when it
comes back up, so I have added the neccessary commands to my shutdown
scripts. However, it seems to me like a kernel bug that should probably
be fixed.

My specific hardware/software config is:

HP Pavillion XH555 laptop with:
1 Ghz Athlon 4
512 MB RAM
ESS sound/modem (sound using Maestro3 driver)
Accton ethernet (using tulip driver)

Software:
Slackware 8.0, kernel 2.4.17
using ACPI, tulip, maestro3, ext3, framebuffer, etc.

If there's any more info that would help, please let me know.

-Chris