apm and (usb) mouse confilct

From: Luis Miguel Tavora (lmtavora@saturno.fis.uc.pt)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 14:31:31 EST

I've been circulating this message on different
linux groups but had no luck so far...

Dear all,

I have just updated my Toshiba 4600 laptop to
RedHat7.2. Had some problems to get Xfree4.1 working
on the CyberBlade XP graphics card, but managed to
get around it.

However now I've noticed that the laptop has a
problem with apm. If the computer is put to rest
(apm -s) with the (logitech) usb mouse plugged in,
the PC doesn't recover at all, going into a
reboot sequence. If the mouse is unplugged before
"apm -s", everything goes well...

No problem as well if the mouse is connected to
the PS2 port.

This happens executing "apm -s" from both console
and X mode. The mouse I'm using is a logitech
cordless device with usb uchi interface.

I belive RH7.2 comes with apm 3.0final-34. I had no
problems with RH7.1, wich had version 3.0final-29 of apm.

I tried this older version on RH7.2 but still had no luck...

Different kernels were considered, namely 2.4.7-10,
as well as 2.4.9-13 and 2.4.17 recompiled by
myself.

I believe that there might be a conflict with the
hotplug utility, cause if I disable it then the laptop recovers well with the usb mouse plugged
in... However hotplug is really needed, for
example, to get the PCMCIA card working properly.

Has anybody out there had any problems like this?

Any suggestions?

Thx in advance.

Luis