Re: 2.4.18-pre7 slow ... apm problem

From: Thomas Hood (jdthood@mail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 16:14:30 EST

On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 15:11, Jeff Chua wrote:
> Sorry, just got off a long flight from San Diego to Singapore. Anyway,
> slow ... means that even without vmware, if I just hit return, the lines
> would scroll for about every 10 lines and there'll be a litte pause (<0.3
> sec). With pre6, there's no such behavior, and if CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is
> not set, the "pause" goes away.

Suggestion: Try setting the idle_threshold to a higher value,
e.g., 98. (The default value is 95.)

Question to all: Would it be a good idea to de-idle the CPU
inside interrupt handlers?

> "host" system is linux. "guest" system is linux (actually, I tried with NT
> as well, same problem).
>
> The sympton is when I try to ping the "host" from vmware's "guest" system,
> the first response came back to the guest's console. Then if I don't type
> anything or don't move the mouse on the guest's console, I won't see any
> further response on the guest's linux console. Even with a lot of mouse
> movement or pressing the keys, the response is still very slow with "ping".

> If I ping from the "host" linux console to the "guest" linux system,
> Got to recompile the kernel again.

Try disabling APM cpu idling (set apm idle_threshold to 100) in the
_guest_ OS. (Leave it enabled in the host OS.) Tell us what happens.

Also try disabling APM cpu idling (set apm idle_threshold to 100) in
the _host_ OS. (Leave it enabled in the guest OS.) Tell us what
happens.

I repeat: You do not need to recompile the kernel to enable/disable
APM cpu idle: to disable it simply set idle_threshold to 100.