Re: A modest proposal -- We need a patch penguin

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 08:06:09 EST

> throughput is as high as he wants it to be! Linus has pointed out
> more than once that a big part of his job is to limit change. Maybe
> he's happy with the current rate of change in 2.5. (That doesn't
> mean everything is optimal--he might wish for higher quality changes
> or a different mix of changes, just not more.)

Progress happens at its own rate. Linus can no more control rate of change
than you can put a waterfall into low gear. There is a difference between
refusing stuff where the quality is low and losing stuff which is clear
fixes

> Two, Linus has argued that maintainers are his patch penguins;
> whereas you favor a single integration point between the maintainers
> and Linus. This has advantages and disadvantages, but on the whole,
> I think it is better if Linus works directly with subsystem

Perl I think very much shows otherwise. Right now we have a maze of partially
integrated trees which overlap, clash when the people send stuff to Linus and
worse.

When you have one or two integrators you have a single tree pretty much everyone
builds new stuff from and which people maintain small diffs relative to. At
the end of the day that ends up like the older -ac tree, and with the same
conditions - notably that anything in it might be going to see /dev/null not
Linus if its shown to be flawed or not done well.

Alan