Re: Note describing poor dcache utilization under high memory pressure

From: William Lee Irwin III (wli@holomorphy.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 14:55:48 EST

"William" == William Lee Irwin <wli@holomorphy.com> writes:
William> Please correct my attempt at clarifying this:
William> The COW markings are done at the next higher level of hierarchy above
William> the pte's themselves, and so experience the radix tree branch factor
William> reduction in the amount of work done at fork-time in comparison to a
William> full pagetable copy on fork.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:18:42PM +0200, Momchil Velikov wrote:
> COW at pgd/pmd level is ia32-ism, unlike COW at pte level.

Pain! Well, at least the pte markings dodge the page_add_rmap() bullet.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:18:42PM +0200, Momchil Velikov wrote:
> PS. Well, the whole pgd/pmd/ptb stuff is ia32-ism, but that's another
> story.

Perhaps something can be done about that.

Cheers,
Bill