Re: A modest proposal -- We need a patch penguin

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 19:44:12 EST

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Chris Ricker wrote:

> That's fine, but there's a major problem with your scheme. What happens
> with all the stuff for which no one is listed in MAINTAINERS?

I have to admit that personally I've always found the MAINTAINERS file
more of an irritation than anything else. The first place _I_ tend to look
personally is actually in the source files themselves (although that may
be a false statistic - the kind of people I tend to have to look up aren't
the main maintainers at all, but more single driver people etc).

It might not be a bad idea to just make that "mention maintainer at the
top of the file" the common case.

                Linus