Re: Why would a valid DVD show zero files on Linux?

From: Bryce Nesbitt (bryce@obviously.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 10:08:20 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> Bryce wrote:
> > Understood. However, why can't that combination "just work"? Changing
> > [mount] every time I switch between sticking in a CD-ROM and DVD-ROM is not cool.
> > Certainly that "other operating system" does not make me do that.
>
> man fstab
> man ln

Here's the final resolution on this issue:

        fstab(5) now mentions "udf".

        mount(8) now has the key piece of information - "udf
        and iso9660 co-exist on many discs".

        mount -t auto now automounts udf.
        This required scanning the extended area as you can't
        tell from the first VSD.

Most people will never need to think about the issue again, dvd-rom's will
just mount. Poof.

Thanks for the tips and pointers that helped identify the cause.

                        -Bryce