Re: Via Sound Mantainer

From: salvador (salvador@inti.gov.ar)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 10:22:57 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 11:18:35AM +0100, Raul Sanchez Sanchez wrote:
> > Could anybody tell me who is the via sound mantainer? I have some
> > questions to him/her and i don't know who is.
>
> There is no via sound maintainer... I used to do it, but have long
> since lost Via hardware needed to adequately support it. Further, ALSA
> will go into 2.5.x sometime (hopefully), and they support Via audio...

Just a comment:
I see most people in this list thinks users use the last cutting edge kernel.

The problem is that a lot of people still using 2.2.x and most are using
2.4.x. A lot of people will use 2.4.x for the next 18 months or more, just
think in Debian users, stable release uses 2.2.x and when the new stable
release comes out will use 2.4.x, ususally takes a couple of years to see a
new stable release.
I understand you can't maintain it because you don't have the hardware
anymore, but what people here must understand is that a huge number of users
will live with 2.4.x for a couple of years and doesn't help much to see the
needed features in 2.5.x.
I agree this case is less important because ALSA is available as a separated
stuff, but just wanted to make a note about this kind of "2.5.x will change
it so forget about the problem".
Nothing particular with Jeff.

SET

--
Salvador Eduardo Tropea (SET). (Electronics Engineer)
Visit my home page: http://welcome.to/SetSoft or