[NFS] Incompatibility with Solaris?

From: Telford002@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 16:33:06 EST

I installed Suse 7.3 on my workstation and then exported the file
system to a Solaris 2.6 x86 development station.

I executed a build/make script on the Solaris workstation in
a directory tree on the NFS exported file system.

The build/make script creates some symbolic links during
the build process. I notice that the paths to the real
file are sometimes trash. I suspect some sort of RPC
problem with symbolic links. Build/make procedures
that create no symbolic links have no problems.

The Suse 7.3 distribution uses a 2.4.10 kernel.
I tried a 2.4.17 kernel. I received a message
on the Solaris console that the RPC version in
2.4.17 was incompatible.

I have a work around, but it might be worthwhile
to check out.

Note that not every symbolic link created on the
NFS file system during the build procedure is bad,
just a few of them.

Joachim Martillo