Re: BKL in tty code?

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@transvirtual.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 18:14:04 EST

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 02:58:29PM -0800, James Simmons wrote:
> > All the locking should be moved to the upper tty layers. Why implement the
> > wheel over and over agin for each type of tty device.
>
> By that statement, I can see that you haven't really done any analysis of
> the tty nor serial locking. Its not a simple case of "just add a per tty
> semaphore in the tty layer and everything will be fine".

I have to say no. I have been to busy cleaning up the fbdev layer right
now. What I have done is work on a way to haev each console device have
its own lock and then share that with struct tty_driver to protect
hardware access. This is just the first step. I knew the tty layer would
require more than just that. Since I haven't had time to look at all the
details I'm curious to what you have discovered. I still believe that
locking could be moved to the upper layer tho. I don't see why not.