Re: PROBLEM: ext2/mount - multiple mounts corrupts inodes

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolabs.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 18:37:30 EST

On Jan 30, 2002 15:07 -0800, Kris Urquhart wrote:
> [1.] One line summary of the problem:
> A mount of an already mounted ext2 partition corrupts inodes if there have
> been recent writes without an intervening sync.

This _should_ be handled OK by the kernel simply by not mounting the
filesystem the second time. If you try and mount it a second time it
_should_ just do a "bind" mount instead of a real mount, I think.

<stating the obvious>
Rather than mounting the device to try and see if it is already
mounted, use /proc/mounts or /etc/mtab or "df" or "mount" output
instead. Doctor, it hurts when I do this... ;-).
</stating the obvious>

Granted, this does appear to be a bug so the above will only work
around it and not fix it. Al Viro is the one to pester about it.
Hopefully he will see this email and reply (== fix the problem).

> [4.] Kernel version (from /proc/version):
> Linux version 2.4.10 (kurquhart@bay.sw.littlefeet-inc.com) (gcc version
> egcs-2.91.66
> 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Wed Jan 30 09:46:52 PST 2002

The 2.4.10 kernel is a bad one to use for several reasons, don't use it.

Cheers, Andreas

PS - nice bug report, if only all of them were this useful.

--
Andreas Dilger