Re: Kernel -- GCC Version

From: Wakko Warner (wakko@animx.eu.org)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 07:06:49 EST

> > > I've looked on kernel.org, in the kernel sources, it its not really clear,
> > > from what I would see. If someone could tell me exactly what are the best
> > > and/or what Linus uses versions of gcc, etc. for compiling the different
> > > kernels? (2.0/2.2/2.4/2.5) Thanks!
> >
> > I don't recommend gcc 3.0 for kernel compiles as I had problems with it on
> > the system I tried it on.
>
> What problem exactly? I've had zero problems in the last 5 months.

I did get tons of warnings when compiling (I would assume everyone else
did). But I ignored those since it says "this is obsolete"

After booting, I had so many ECC errors (I don't recall if they were
correctable or not) that I had to give up on it.

Unless debian messedup the 3.0.3 compile it didn't work for me.