Re: A modest proposal -- We need a patch penguin

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 08:00:24 EST

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Larry McVoy wrote:
> >
> > And you just lost some useful information.
>
> No. If the useless crap ends up hiding the real points in the revision
> history, getting rid of crud is _good_.

Actually, allowing the deep merges to go past tags could
be useful for dragging bugfixes between the 2.4 and 2.5
kernels ...

... but I think the 'dragging' analogy is something we'll
want to keep here, not back merging across tags by default
but _trying_ to do the backmerge on demand only, when the
user wants to drag a changeset from 2.4 to 2.5.

We could just have a revtool-like interface for that.

regards,

Rik

--
"Linux holds advantages over the single-vendor commercial OS"
    -- Microsoft's "Competing with Linux" document