Re: [RFC] x86 ELF bootable kernels/Linux booting Linux/LinuxBIOS

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 19:46:09 EST

On 31 Jan 2002 16:36:27 -0700,
ebiederm@xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman) wrote:
>"Erik A. Hendriks" <hendriks@lanl.gov> writes:
>Sort of. The assumptions change per architecture. But I haven't
>heard of an architecture where some addresses are not safe.

NUMA boxes with discontiguous physical memory. You may not boot off
node 0. Whichever node you boot from may not be able to see all of
physical memory yet, the cross node directrories may not be set up.
The boot node may not even have physical address 0. I don't say that
these boxes exist yet but they are possible with discontiguous memory
architectures.

>Dynamic linking with relocation is nasty.

I have some code in insmod that you can use ... Nasty is an
understatement.