Re: Console driver behaviour?

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@transvirtual.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 19:48:07 EST

> How can I determine that the program is run via ssh or on
> a headless box?

Hm. I never seen a clean way to do this :-(

> The problem is with Linux Console Tools. It tries opening
> /dev/tty, /dev/tty0 and /dev/console respectively upon the
> start, and it fails on ssh'ed or headless boxes. Is there
> any way to catch the situation? I've thought that open should
> return ENODEV in these cases, but it doesn't..

/dev/console -> System console. printk messages are sent to these devices.
                 It is always there.

/dev/tty -> The TTY device associated with the current process

/dev/tty0 -> Only related to VTs. This is the foreground virtual
                termial (made from a graphics card and a regular keyboard)