Re: should I trust 'free' or 'top'?

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 14:58:50 EST

> processes and swapping, enough that I feel compelled to report them here. We
> have tried all different kernels from 2.4.6 to 2.4.16, and the problem seems
> to happen with all of them (but is more pronounced on certain kernels)

The only kernels you are likely to see that not happen on are

- The 2.4.9 kernel with Rik's patches that Linus didnt take
        (Red Hat 2.4.9-*)
- 2.4.17/18pre with the rmap11/rmap12 patches
- 2.4.17/18pre with the -aa patched VM
        (which I believe is also in the SuSE kernel packages)
- 2.2

The base VM in Linus tree has been broken since before 2.4.0 and while
somewhat better is still that - broken. The major vendors don't ship it for
a reason.

Alan