Re: Machines misreporting Bogomips

From: Greg Boyce (gboyce@rakis.net)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 15:53:28 EST

> > The machine is actually slower. That's how I noticed the problem.
> >
> > Underclocking dosen't seem likely due to the difference in speed. It's 4
> > bogomips instead of 500. The machine is running at about the speed of a
> > 386 (I believe that's about right). It almost seems as if someone turned
> > off the turbo button. But of course I haven't seen one of those since my
> > old 486 :)
> >
> > --
> > Greg Boyce
> >

> Could they be running with cache disabled in the bios?

The machine is reporting that the cache is enabled. Even if this was
true, I have trouble believing that turning on the cache would result in a
50,000% increase in speed (4 bogomips compared to 500).

I have a feeling that I'm going to have to chalk this one up to hardware
failure. Another kind soul suggested it could be ECC memory reporting a
continual string of 1 bit failures.

--
Greg Boyce