Re: Machines misreporting Bogomips

From: Greg Boyce (gboyce@rakis.net)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 18:34:47 EST

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> > The machine is reporting that the cache is enabled. Even if this was
> > true, I have trouble believing that turning on the cache would result in a
> > 50,000% increase in speed (4 bogomips compared to 500).
>
> L1 and L2 cache both disabled comes up as about 2.5 bogomips typically on
> a Pentium II/III.

Ahh. I was working with someone else trying to figure out if the cache
would affect the calculated bogomips. Looks like it would.

The machine I'm reporting shows 512K of cache though. I included a second
machine as a comparison, and apparently choose poorly. That was the
machine reporting no cache.

Would a machine with L1 cache disabled, but with 512K of L2 cache report
around 4 Bogomips, or would the performance hit not be that strong?