Re: 2.5 include file shakeup.

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@bonn-fries.net)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 01:33:51 EST

On February 2, 2002 01:25 am, Dave Jones wrote:
> after yesterdays cleanup removing sched.h inclusion from fs/,
> I looked at the dependancy graph for sched.h[1], and noticed that
> even with the removal of the explicit #include <linux/fs.h>, it
> was still being sucked in via <linux/capability.h>
>
> Ripping this out meant breakage in various parts of the tree, who
> until now were relying on xxx including sched.h including fs.h
> these things are now including fs.h.
>
> The next step is to split up fs.h some more, as some things are
> including it for trivial bits, but sucking in things like the superblock
> includes for every fs. I've already started this by moving ERR_PTR and
> friends into <linux/err.h>

Just checking - you realize that getting the super_block includes out of fs.h
is easy, right? In fact I already did it in my Unbork fs.h (1..4) set of
patches last month, at least I set a pattern using ext2 as an example, which
is trivially extended for al filesystems. Now, I'm just waiting for one of
two things to happen: Al to decide he's finished mucking around in there and
I can submit the patch to Linus, or Al will feel threatened again and submit
a similar patch to Linus. Either way we win, because the kernel gets better
right? (Except that the second scenerio creates considerably more friction
that necessary, as we saw last week.)

> [...]
>
> Is all this worth it ?

You bet it is, you are preaching to the choir.

> Take a look at the updated dependancy graph after the cleanups[2],

Oh I know all about it, because I first did a version of this for myself
almost a year ago, and the complilation speedup was *remarkable*. That's not
even the biggest thing, I just find it much easier to work with and feel
better about it when the kernel doesn't doesn't have its thumb tied to its
nose.

;-)

--
Daniel