Re: Bitkeeper change granularity (was Re: A modest proposal -- We need a patch penguin)

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 10:56:47 EST

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Friday 01 February 2002 11:38 am, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> > You are presupposing that all the developers are checking in many bad
> > changes and only one good change. And that all the bad changes are
> > obscuring the good ones. That a correct statement of your beliefs?
> >
> > If so, what you are describing is called "hacking" in the negative
> > sense of the word, and what my customers do is called "programming".
>
> Designing while coding is not a bad thing. It's often considerably more
> efficient than spending a bunch of time up front coming up with an ivory
> tower design that doesn't work in practice. Very few battle plans survive
> the first engagement with the enemy. (It's nice to HAVE one. But if you
> can't adapt when you're in the thick of things, you're in trouble.)

You're confusing designing with "coming up with the most
inflexible idea possible".

I believe this says more about your experience (or skills)
with designing than about the practice of coming up with
a design before you start implementing.

regards,

Rik

--
"Linux holds advantages over the single-vendor commercial OS"
    -- Microsoft's "Competing with Linux" document