Re: 2.5.3 - (IDE) hda: drive not ready for command errors

From: Holger Lubitz (h.lubitz@internet-factory.de)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 10:32:19 EST

(Tried posting this before, but apparently it didn't get through.
Apologies if it did.)

Anton Altaparmakov proclaimed:
> I was about to send the drive (IBM 7200rpm 41GiB) back for replacement when
> I as last resort tried to upgrade the firmware of the drive.

Just out of curiosity - where do you get firmware updates for hard
drives? I know that most can be flashed with newer firmware, yet i never
saw an actual update available.

I have two IBM DTLA that sometimes make the "funny IBM noises",
occasionally accompanied by ide resets. They haven't hung the bus, yet,
but I'd like to be on the safe side.

Holger