Re: Warning, 2.5.3 eats filesystems

From: Daniel Pittman (daniel@rimspace.net)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 23:59:16 EST

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 07:59:57PM -0500, Skip Ford wrote:
> > I can confirm inode errors also. However, I can't be sure it's
> > 2.5.3 that did it.
>
> Recall that pre3/pre4/pre5 had the missing ext2_inode_info
> initialisation bug. If you booted any of those, and have only just
> done a fsck, it could be a leftover artifact of a now-fixed bug.

I jumped directly from 2.4.18pre1 to 2.5.3, and I didn't see any issues
with the 2.4 kernel in the time I ran it.

This doesn't rule out a pre-existing corruption, of course, but it seems
to me unlikely in the extreme. Er, in my case, of course. I can't speak
for others.

        Daniel

--
Yes, I hate that. You spend all this time trying to explain to people that
they don't *have* to hammer nails into their own heads all the time, only to