Re: linux-2.5.4-pre1 - bitkeeper testing

From: Reid Hekman (reid.hekman@ndsu.nodak.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 02:50:34 EST

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 00:50, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Feb 05, 2002 19:37 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > For a first example, the ChangeLog file for 2.5.4-pre1 is rather more
> > detailed than usual (in fact, right now it is _too_ detailed, and I
> > haven't written the scripts to "terse it down" for postings to
> > linux-kernel, for example).
>
> Well, I for one would rather have these verbose messages than very terse
> messages (or none at all).

I second that. Maybe however we can have it both ways -- I have no
experience with bk, but can't this same info be made available elsewhere
like a public web interface or some such thing?

> Actually, having the full email explanation
> helps other readers just as much as it helps you, and having the subject
> lines helps go back to the specific message/thread in l-k (if the patch
> was also posted there).

If the Changelogs stay verbose on lkml, possibly the list itself would
be more "searchable" -- people hunting specific bugs and kernel versions
would hit the release announcements as kind of an index into the
discussion.

Regards,
Reid