Re: 512 Mb DIMM not detected by the BIOS!

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 11:20:50 EST

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Cliff Albert wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 12:17:10PM +0100, Wojtek Pilorz wrote:

> > > Since it's a chipset (ie hardware) issue, it's not possible to work
> > > around this problem - you need a newer chipset. Sorry.
> > Or maybe another DIMM type - at least I was able to successfully use 256MB
> > DIMMs of appropriate type.
>
> Double Sided 256MB Dimms are required, single sided dimms rarely work on
> BX-based boards.

  I have to agree that requiring the correct part for memory is not
usually considered a "hardware issue" as most people see it.

  I believe the VIA chipsets have similar features, the last m/b I
installed said it supported 4 DIMMs, up to 3GB. So a 1GB part will work,
but if you put in four only three operate (I didn't have four to try).

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc