Re: driverfs support for motherboard devices

From: Patrick Mochel (mochel@osdl.org)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 18:34:18 EST

> These are easy ones, but what about
>
> Case 4: 386 with no PCI
>
> and what's worse
>
> Case 5: 486 with both PCI and VLB, where ide is on the VLB?
>
> cases 4 and 5 are IMO hard, because it is difficult to know where it
> really is... and I'm not sure current kernel knows it.

Does the IDE subsystem always know where it sits? I.e. does it know that a
particular IDE controller is a function of the south bridge, an add-on PCI
card, or directly on the motherboard?

If it does, there is no problem. It can properly add itself in the correct
hierarchial position.

If it doesn't, it's still not much of a problem (at least not at first
glance).

If the IDE controller doesn't know it's parent, create an 'ide' bus as a
child of the root and put ide devices under it. If there are multiple
controllers or channels, represent them accordingly.

        -pat