Re: Please add me to the kernel change distribution list

From: David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 16:55:02 EST

this is not a linux vs. windows issue.

it's an issue of paranoid firewall companies not allowing unknown stuff
through. I am behind a Raptor firewall running on Solaris that has the
same problem. the first new version of the software that has been released
since the ECN stuff went from proposal to draft was released last week and
does support this. it will take some time for everyone to migrate to new
versions of software.

and I for one would not want firewall vendors to program their firewalls
to allow all proposed standard changes through them. expecting firewalls
to allow stuff the day it is accepted into draft status is not reasonable
either.

yes firewalls need to be updated to reflect changes in the standards, but
these updates should be able to happen as part of the normal
development/release cycle.

David Lang