Re: How to check the kernel compile options ?

From: Ville Herva (vherva@niksula.hut.fi)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 02:56:07 EST

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 01:16:58PM -0500, you [David Relson] wrote:
> At 12:26 PM 2/6/02, you wrote:
>

> >... snip ...
> >
> > * having /usr/src/linux/patches is not practical : it will be a
> >big mess wrt
> >to conflict
>
> Indeed, if /usr/src/linux/patches was a file, the conflicts would be
> impossible to manage. But suppose it was a directory and each patch
> created a small description file in that directory. This would provide the
> desired information without having the big mess :-)

With a directory, you lose the information of in which order the patches
have been applied - unless of course you resort to file dates or some such.

I agree that one file is very problematic wrt. patch(1), but I was hoping
there would be a way to persuade patch into doing the right thing.

Anyway, I think these kind of issues are solveable if only anybody agrees
this is a good idea...

> The patch descriptions could be saved in a similar manner:
>
> cat /usr/src/linux/patches/* | gzip -9 >> image
>
> Alternatively, instead of outputting to image, one could output to
> /boot/patch-$KERNELVERSION, (or wherever)

Yep.

To get back to the original subject: I often compile test kernels and use a
ext2 fs on a cdr as the root fs. I put the tested kernel on a floppy (1)
with cp bzImage /dev/fd0. And then when I finally come up with something
interested I usually find my self pondering is this this or that kernel on
this floppy... In that case the /proc/config thing (and /proc/patches or
whatever) is very useful.

(I admit I should be using lilo on the floppy, and the next problem I hit is
finding the right System.map, which /proc/* won't solve, but...)

-- v --

v@iki.fi

(1) Is there a way to make ext2 fs cd bootable? I know I can do that with
iso fs cd (with the el torido boot image), but I've found no way to do that
with other filesystems.