Re: want opinions on possible glitch in 2.4 network error reporting

From: Luis Garces (Luis.Garces@eurecom.fr)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 04:22:54 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

>> I ran into a somewhat related issue on a 2.2.16 system, where I
>> had an app that was calling sendto() on 217000 packets/sec, even
>> though the wire could only handle about 127000 packets/sec. I
>> got no errors at all in sendto, even though over a third of the
>> packets were not actually being sent.
>>

> That is correct UDP behaviour -

Yes, TCP provides a reliable point-to-point path, and UDP doesn't. The
problem is considering where does this unreliability starts in the UDP
path. In Alan's opinion (I think) it starts in the very moment data is
passed to the call to sendto() (i.e, includes the kernel in the
unreliable UDP path). Perhaps it is a little sad to see the kernel as
something lossy, but I think it's the nature of UDP.

--
Luis
****