Re: Problems with iso9660 as initrd

From: Matthias Kilian (kili@outback.escape.de)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 07:20:53 EST

On 6 Feb 2002, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > I am building a floppy using a compressed iso9660 filesystem as an
> > initrd image.
[...]
> You definitely are... I don't think anyone else has ever tried running
> a zisofs off a ramdisk before!

On for an initrd, it will never work, since initrd checks for minix, ext2
and romfs only (see drivers/block/rd.c, identify_ramdisk_image()).

BTW: what's with the new initrd scheme (using loading a cpio image into a
tmpfs)? I'm still waiting for this to go into the official kernels
(currently I use my own patch doing the same thing for tar images).

Kili

--
Windows is so bootyful...