Re: Linux Kernel Information & Install Kernel Script

From: J.A. Magallon (jamagallon@able.es)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 19:37:05 EST

On 20020207 Justin Piszcz wrote:
>Perhaps, however I began ik in December 2000.
>No /sbin/installkernel existed at the time.
>And /sbin/installkernel doesn't support grub on my rh72 box.
>Nor does it check dependencies, etc, etc.

You should really take a look at /sbin/installkernel from Mandrake.
Bootloader autodetection (lilo-grub), old kernel backup, adds entries in
loader config file... a bunch of features. Do not reinvent
the whell.

Perhaps it is time for RedHat to turn heads towards Mandrake.

>"H. Peter Anvin" wrote:
>
>> Followup to: <3C6267B7.30A3020D@starband.net>
>> By author: Justin Piszcz <war@starband.net>
>> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
>> >
>> > New site: http://www.installkernel.com/
>> > It is very light at the moment.
>> >
>> > 1] Latest news about the kernel:
>> > http://www.installkernel.com/kernel.html
>> > Anything else I should add under 2.4.17?
>> >
>> > 2] Install Kernel (bash script which I am working on)
>> > http://www.installkernel.com/ik/index.html
>> > ik-0.8.9: Adds -b option, you can build and install the kernel from
>> > the current directory with -b.
>> > Summary of ik:
>> > Install Kernel (ik) is a bash script that installs the Linux kernel
>> > and automatically sets up LILO or GRUB.
>> > It also saves your kernel configuration each time you do an install.
>> > This allows you to restore the newest
>> > configuration file when you make a new kernel. This script is
>> > intended for two groups of people; people
>> > new to compiling kernels, and people who are tired of moving files
>> > around and editing their bootloader
>> > configurations every time they install a new kernel.
>> >

>> Sounds like you should make this work as /sbin/installkernel.
>>
>> -hpa
>> --
>> <hpa@transmeta.com> at work, <hpa@zytor.com> in private!
>> "Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot."
>> http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <amsp@zytor.com>
>> -
>
>-

J.A. Magallon                           #  Let the source be with you...
mailto:jamagallon@able.es
Mandrake Linux release 8.2 (Cooker) for i586
Linux werewolf 2.4.18-pre8-slb #1 SMP Tue Feb 5 01:43:29 CET 2002 i686