Re: linux-2.5.4-pre1 - bitkeeper testing

From: Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 10:33:08 EST

Hi!

> Before you yell at me, remember that source management is not the same
> as the kernel. Everyone has to use the kernel, the computer doesn't work
> without it. Take that set of people and remove everyone who doesn't use
> source management. Out of a potential space of billions of people, you
> are left with a market of about .5 - 2 million, world wide. And there
> are 300 SCM systems fighting over that space. The top 3 have 50% of
> the

I know less than 10 such systems, not 300. And now arch is one of
them.

> space. So 297 systems fighting over maybe a million users. That's 3300
> users per system. OK, so if each of those people were willing to pay
> $500 for arch support/whatever, that's a total of 1.6 million dollars.
> Which isn't remotely close enough to get the job done. And don't forget
> that those people have to volunteer that money, it can't be pried out
> of them.
>
> It's just math. Projects that aren't universally used have a much harder
> time getting funding than projects that everyone uses. It doesn't matter
> what the value is to you, it matters what the costs are to the developers.
> This is why microsoft is so rich, they build apps that the masses use.
> It's also why clearcase+clearquest is $8000/seat. It's not because
> that's what the value is, it's because that's what the cost has to be
> or Rational starts to die.
>
> So before you start talking about support contracts, and grants, and
> whatever, realize that the pool of people interested in paying those
> dollars is very small. Are _you_ going to send Tom $500?

What was the point of this mail?

Are you concerned that arch is free software and bk is not?

arch _has_ chance; Tom is probably not going to make million dollars,
but if someone has a choice between using non-free software and arch,
maybe he will just spend his time improving arch.

                                                                        Pavel

--
(about SSSCA) "I don't say this lightly.  However, I really think that the U.S.
no longer is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy." --hpa