tcp_keepalive_intvl vs tcp_keepalive_time?

From: Rob Landley (landley@trommello.org)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 18:42:17 EST

Would someone be kind enough to explain the difference between
tcp_keepalive_intvl and tcp_keepalive_time?
Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt says tcp_keepalive_time is the interval
between sending keepalive probes, but doesn't mention tcp_keepalive_intvl...

A quick grep through the source code says tcp_keepalive_intvl wanders through
keepalive_intv_when which is used in tcp_keepalive_time in a way that sort of
implies it's the timeout between keapalive packets. So what's
tcp_keepalive_time?

The problem I'm trying to track down is ssh connections where the connection
times out but the session doesn't go away until a key is pressed. (I.E.
blocking reads don't notice the connection going down underneath them, not
even if left overnight.)

It's kind of frustrating, actually...

Rob