Character Device Question

From: Bryan Parkoff (BParkoff@satx.rr.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 23:16:03 EST

Character Device Question

    I have been studying Linux Kernel that I am doing my project to
maniuplate character device. I only have one important question that is
very simple. It is not necessary to answer which it is very deep technical
information.
    Can character device be done by transmitting one or more bits rather
than 8 bits as one byte? It is all I need to know because it can be done by
serial ports which use bits only, but parallel port uses bytes only. Please
advise.

Yours Truly,

Bryan Parkoff
BParkoff@satx.rr.com