Re: [bk patch] Make cardbus compile in -pre4

From: William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 00:25:12 EST

Good day, Larry,

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Larry McVoy wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 01:01:34PM -0800, David Lang wrote:
> > do you have a script that can go back after the fact and see what can be
> > hardlinked?
> >
> > I'm thinking specififcly of the type of thing that will be happening to
> > your server where you have a bunch of people putting in a clone of one
> > tree who will probably not be doing a clone -l to set it up, but who could
> > have and you want to clean up after the fact (and perhapse again on a
> > periodic basis, becouse after all of these trees apply a changeset from
> > linus they will all have changed (breaking the origional hardlinks) but
> > will still be duplicates of each other.
>
> We don't, but we can, and we should. "bk relink tree1 tree2" seems like
> the right interface.
>
> Right now we aren't too worried about the disk space, the data is sitting
> on a pair of 40GB drives and we're running the trees in gzip mode, so they
> are 75MB each. But yes, it's a good idea, we should do it, and probably
> should figure out some way to make it automatic. I'll add it to the
> (ever growing) list, thanks.

        Larry, I'll save you the time.
        "freedups -a -d /some/dir [/other/dirs]" will look for identical
files (the -d requires dates to be equal as well as the content) and
hardlink them. It's not terribly efficient, but works marvelously well.
Run it from cron once a week or so, perhaps?
        http://www.stearns.org/freedups/
        Cheers,
        - Bill

        "Patience is a minor form of despair, disguised as virtue."
        -- Ambrose Bierce, on qualifiers